Monday, October 27, 2008

Court Day

Our First Photo as Parents!

Well, we did get the nice Judge. It took about 30 minutes in total to answer all the questions and state our desire to adopt these boys. The decision of the court was given and we are now the legal parents of two twin boys!!! There seemed to be no problems and everything went smoothly. Greg did most of the talking as customary and in his case normal. Our ride started out normal, our regular driver Victor picked us up at 9:15am and took us to the orphanage. The orphanage director came out and we put her in the front seat with Victor. We left the baby house and then headed in a direction that we didn't expect. Victor weaved around a few streets amongst big block apartment complexes like the one we stay in and asked several people how to get to somewhere. At this point I thought we must be picking up someone else, but who? Then we found a building and Victor got out to ask her a question then she got into the car with us and we drove away. She was definitely upset or frustrated and I understood "Taxi" and "city center" in Russian, and all the body language. She continued to tell me the whole story all the way to the court house. I said nothing but nodded in understanding, and didn't let on that I did not speak Russian. She seemed like a nice lady and I thought she must be part of the medical staff or somehow related to the baby house or Director. Later we found out that she was the Juror for our case and had some difficulty with transportation this morning.



As we filed into a door we expected a courtroom but it was just his office. We took the only open seats and took our coats off. Olga did move her chair to be close to us. Our Judge was smooth headed and large stature. He seemed to be all business as I feel he had a long day of sessions in front of him. We introduced ourselves and stated our name, DOB, residence, occupation and education. There were questions about accepting the court staff and accepting the application in full and we just had to answer, Yes! Then the Judge had some questions like why did you choose Ukraine and why not the US? How well off are you financially and who will care for the children? Things like that which Greg answered and I just put in my 2 cents from the side. I got to say how much we love the children, and how excited we are to adopt them. The Orphanage Director and the social worker from the Local Board of Custody stated the history of the children. Then with no questions the Prosecutor declared that she approved the application for adoption and then the Judge gave the decision and we were done. Olga did her paperwork stuff with the Judge and we went our of the office as the next group of people filed into the room.


Victor took us to the best Pizza place in town to celebrate with Olga. On our way home we stopped to see the bridge lifting to let a tanker boat through. Much of the city stopped because there was traffic backed up and everyone got out of the cars to watch the boat go by.


Tomorrow we will see the boys for the first time as their parents.





12 comments:

hanichka said...

I am so happy for you guys! Congrats on your new babies ( and Kathy I told you so!) You made us all cry. H.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both! Thank you for making us the grandparents of 6 now -- the more the merrier.
Love to ALL!!

Dad and Paula

Anonymous said...

I just want to scream I am so happy. I have fallen in love with the little buggers and haven't even seen them in person. That picture of them pushing the stroller is locked in my mind and heart forever. Now I have to wipe away the tears. Good thing I wasn't in the court room cuz the judge would as many do, why the grandmother is crying. You two looked very parental and the babies are beautiful. I'm overwhelmed.
Much, much love,
GHB

bragbaby said...

Many, many congratulations on this huge step! Our best wishes and blessings go out to all of you. Looking forward to meeting your SONS : ) How cool is that!

MaryLee, Bob & kids

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Jason and I are so happy for you. So is everyone here at work! How funny you have two boys a couple months older than Ashley-- we'll have to set a play date! Please let us know if you need anything before you get home, ie. diapers, wipes- we're all happy to help.
Love
Andrea

Katie Bond said...

When Kathy's Mom told me she was a new grandparent of two and showed me the boys' pictures I was so totally thrilled. As the mom of twin boys (now 18 years old), I can tell you that you have so much fun in store ahead! The boys looked so perfect for you both. What fun! I wish I could be there when you get off the plane. I look forward to meeting them! I love your blog and how it answered many of my questions (the food, court, etc.) How exciting! Love to you all.
Katie (friend of Sandy & Rod's)
katie@quakersurnames.net

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you guys! Can't wait to meet the newest members of your family.

Sue and Mike

Anonymous said...

I've been following your story, and am thoroughly in awe, as I know you are. What a gift for all involved - both boys & parents. How does it feel to be called "parents?" It sounds VERY good and VERY right to me!

Love to the whole "fam!"
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

What a FAMILY. From the looks of all the comments, the local police here will have to be doing crowd control just for all your visitors. And who will be in charge of setting appointments to visit? It is starting to look like a boon for the local economy. Hurry home.
Dave & Cat

Susan and Fabio Sorano said...

That is so awesome! I can't believe it's all done. that is just fantastic. we cannot wait to come to california to see you guys. We are tallying up all frequent Flyer miles to come see you all as soon as possible.

wow! I am still amazed at the news! Congratulations!!!

Fabio

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you. We will be praying for a smooth adjustment for the boys as well as you both. Take care.

Steve, Melissa, Kayley and Kate Fruendt

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Although I have never met you Kathy, I feel I know you. Greg, we are so happy for you! You have S-O-O-O-O-O-O much to look forward to, as do your sons. They are so lucky and fortunate to have both of you as Mom and Dad. Your Blog was so interesting! Loved following it as your mom forwarded it to me. Pictures when you get home??.....in your spare time.

Love,

Aunt Roz